Thursday, July 29, 2010

Necessity is the mother.......

I made some clay faces yesterday for the Prayer Boxes I'm creating.  When I got up this morning, it was with the intention of painting the faces a coppery/rusty color.  Upon closer inspection, I realized that my coppery/rusty paint had dried to a hard rock-like substance during the school year (a problem I have run across more than once).  What to do?  I can't keep running to the craft store to pick up supplies for a business that has yet to get off the ground!  I don't think it's a good thing when receipts for supplies far outweigh sales slips for products sold, is it?  Not having much business savvy, I do believe I have the order of things right.  Sales should outweigh purchases!  

Okay, back to my "face" problem.  I know that this isn't a new technique to serious painters, but it's new to me.  A couple of years ago, my husband had purchased a set of pigment bottles for me from Dick Blick's catalogue.  The pigments are called "Historical Pigment Kit" by Sinopik (it could be Sinopir, there is a big paint blob on the label).  I mixed the sienna pigment with the gel medium I was using (by Liquitex) and voila!  A beautiful rusty/coppery paint was created for my faces!  You can teach an old dog new tricks!

No comments: