Friday, July 9, 2010

Different styles......

My son is very creative.  He doesn't spend much time drawing and he doesn't engage in other typical art mediums.  My son enjoys working with his hands.  He likes to build things and he likes to design things.  He is able to visualize a finished product simply by looking at the raw materials.  I can't do that!  I truly believe that mixed media and collage are the perfect categories for me because I can just jump into the fray without any idea of how things will turn out.  I don't like to measure or follow patterns. 

Example:  I immediately began to crochet an afghan three weeks ago on the day I retired.  It seemed like the thing to do.  As is my way, I didn't buy a pattern and I didn't measure.  One evening, after I had been madly crocheting for several days, my son asked me how big the afghan was going to be.  I said I had no clue and he then insisted on measuring what I had completed thus far.  The afghan was 14 feet wide!  Needless to say, my family has given me nothing but warm hearted grief over my monster afghan. 
My son measures and thinks things through when he builds something.  I recently asked him to build an elevated vegetable planter for the side of my house (the only patch of sun in my entire yard).  Within three hours, I had the most beautiful, perfect planter imaginable.  I'm so proud of him.  He's talented, loving, generous and accurate!  And you know what else?  He wants my monster afghan when it's completed because he appreciates my lack of planning........

1 comment:

Joel said...

i love you mamma, i get my creativeness from my amazing parents and i am so proud of both of you guys and all your projects, i wouldnt want to come from any other family