Sunday, April 12, 2009

Promises


I've made lots of promises over the years. Some I've kept, and some I haven't. I've always made a great effort not to break my word because I think that keeping promises speaks to integrity.


Being fallible though, I sometimes fall short. The promises I have the most difficulty keeping are those that I've made to myself. I promise to eat less, I promise to exercise, I promise to only say nice things about people, I promise to do better at recycling, I promise to do more housecleaning, I promise to be more patient, I promise to read the classics (though romance novels are so much more fun), I promise to play less card games on the computer and do more walking after work.............. The list goes on and on.


Why is it that we can give so much of ourselves to others but rarely give the same attention to our personal commitments? It somehow feels selfish to stop doing for others and indulge ourselves.


The one area of my life that I totally indulge in, is my art. I will buy any magazine that reflects my artistic interests. I will purchase any book, and any art supply that I deem absolutely necessary for feeding my artistic soul. I need my art to be true to myself. I will continue to indulge in art as long as my fingers allow me to do so. That is a promise!

No comments: