Friday, August 15, 2008

Warring factions....

August 15,2008


While we're on the subject of my inner workings, I feel the need to list some contrary elements of my personality. As might be evident by now, I love to work with art materials, paint, glue, found objects, ink etc. The world of collage is as much a part of who I am as is teaching, parenting, gardening and all of the other things that reach into my soul and define my life. Collage and mixed media are also a very messy medium! Every scrap of paper, rusty metal, button etc. is potential fodder for future creativity. I sometimes think I spend as much time trying to organize my materials as I do creating with them!
The reason I spend so much time organizing is because I am also afflicted with a desperate need for orderliness in my life! This does not mesh well with collage. My life is a constant struggle between wanting to clean up my work space and needing to create. I seldom experience jealousy yet I feel true envy over some of the studios displayed in art magazines such as the one soon to be published by Stampington & Co. called "Where Women Create"(www.stampington.com). Though, with my luck, I would most likely feel a need to keep my studio space organized too (if I had one)!
Some day, I hope to have my own studio space. In the meantime, I will continue to wage battle against myself and hope that my creative side comes out on top at least more than half of the time!

No comments: