Thursday, August 12, 2010

Life is Like a Bag of Carrots.........

Yes, I would rather life be like a box of chocolates, but recent conversations with my doctor have eliminated that possibility.  I could also say that life is like a box of sugarfree chocolates, but having just read Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman/Kim Barnouin and becoming aware of the evils of aspartame, (apparently it has been linked to everything from arthritis to cancer) even that small compromise has been stolen from my life menu.  Diet pop!  Guess what it's flavored with?  Yup Aspartame. 

I know it's important to get healthy, but what is a Baby Boomer supposed to do?  Maybe back in the Little House on the Prairie days, a nice juicy (worm filled) apple fresh from the orchard (that Pa planted with his own two gorgeous hands) was a special treat.  But I was raised in the self-indulgent days of pesticides, preservatives, and every kind of salty, sweet snack man could think of inventing ( I say "man" because a woman would know better than to put addictive, worm free chemicals in our snacks). 

I'm talking about the fast food generation.  Who can think about high school without remembering trips to MacDonalds and Burger King after  football games? I admit, having just lost fifty pounds, it feels good to be healthier.  But maintaining that life style is daunting.  I find my post retirement days filled with a constant battle between my conscience telling me to go make art and my bored stomach telling me to go get a Diet Coke or a nicely "preserved" bag of 100 calorie cookies.  Sometimes my stomach wins and out come the diet snacks and sometimes my conscience wins and I grab a bag of chemically peeled "fresh" baby carrots......what's a boomer to do?  Skinny Bitch

No comments: