Monday, November 24, 2008

Finding your muse through your stomach........


Staying home has its advantages. I've become addicted to Food Network (www.foodnetwork.com). I love to watch other people cook! I'm not much of a cook myself, though I can throw a decent Thanksgiving meal together. It's not that I can't, I just don't enjoy it. But watching others cook, now that's fun!


I've noticed that there is a commonality between great chefs and artists. Both endeavors require creativity. Chefs creatively throw ingredients together, dream about combining flavors, and experiment with rare and exotic foods. Artists pull various elements together, dream about composition, and experiment with new and sometimes strange materials!


Beyond the obvious comparisons between cooking and artistry, I have found artistic inspiration for a Christmas project in the graphics for one of my favorite cooking shows. Jamie at Home is a favorite of ours. My husband and I watch it together whenever it's on. It's our "Food Network Date"! Not only is Jamie Oliver adorable, but we love his recipes and enjoy his sense of humor. The bonus, however, is that the graphics designer for his show does a wonderful job of portraying his recipes and funny little tips. The pieces are done a in journalistic, shabby, collage style that I just love. I've decided to capture the feeling of Jamie's graphics in a project I am pulling together for the holidays. More to come!

No comments: