Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lack of planning...


July 30, 2008
My approach to art (unless working on a commisioned piece) includes a total lack of planning. I tend to pile my materials on the kitchen table and see what develops from there. Sometimes I have an idea of where I want to go, but most often that early plan takes a very different turn before the piece is completed. I used to feel bad about that. I envy the "true" artists who talk about the deep meaningful premise on which their pieces have been created.

It's this lacking on my part that causes me to hiccup a little bit when attempting to call myself an artist. My brother says that I express my inner feelings quite clearly through my art. I don't think he realizes that it's a subconscious occurance. I don't even know what it is I'm trying to express until the process is over!

At other times, my creations are simply a fanciful juxtaposition of wonderful old stuff.......
This angel is exactly that. I saw the shrine stacked inside the vintage jello mold on my table and thought, "wow! I like the way that looks!" and things just progressed from there.......

No comments: