Tuesday, July 29, 2008

in the beginning

My goal for this summer was to set up my own blog. This is my attempt to do so. I know that I will eventually change the way my site looks and that I'll make it my own but for now, I'm just happy to have made a start. The name I've chosen for my blog (a daunting task when the computer screen is suddenly asking you to make such a big decision before the site times out!) is Its My Life.

As a kid, I always knew I would be an artist someday. I loved anything to do with creativity. My mom, on the other hand, had different ideas. Living in a bad marriage, she wanted to be sure that I had a career which provided independence and security for her daughter. She didn't want me to ever be dependent on a man. So, I became a teacher.

I'm a good teacher and my mother's goals were fulfilled. I'm self-reliant and secure in my career. I still "play" with art, pour over every art magazine I can get my hands on, and have had some success with selling my "stuff". I've even managed to get published!

As everyone who has ever tried knows, combing art with a full-time career can be challenging but well worth the effort. I love what I do, but sometimes I wish that I had had more control over my own life in the beginning...........................

No comments: