Monday, September 26, 2011

Courtship.............

One of  my favorite themes revolves around the observance of Day of the Dead.

Wikipedia Definition: People go to cemeteries to be with the souls of the departed and build private altars containing the favorite foods and beverages as well as photos and memorabilia of the departed. The intent is to encourage visits by the souls, so that the souls will hear the prayers and the comments of the living directed to them. Celebrations can take a humorous tone, as celebrants remember funny events and anecdotes about the departed.

I love the humor associated with this celebration!  The holiday embraces all of the things that I hold dear, respect for the past, respect for family both present and deceased, creativity, vibrant color, and humor.  I have often used skeletal images in my art work and since learning of D of D, I feel as though my fondness for these images has come full circle.  An upcoming art show in Ferndale will focus on my D of D art.  Some people find my work to be "creepy" or "Tim Burton-like" (an honor of course).  I'm hoping to spread the word about this annual observance, to gain understanding and to encourage others to learn about this wonderfully rich tradition.


The following are some excellent websites that will provide basic information about The Day of the Dead tradition:


http://www.dayofthedead.com/
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dead/articles/dead-history.html

No comments: