Saturday, April 17, 2010

Blackbird singing in the dead of night...........



There is an old amusement park up on Van Dyke in Utica. To my knowledge, it's been closed for a very long time. I remember bringing my girlfriend's daughter there when she was around four years old. That was over 30 years ago. At the time, the park was fairly run down. I'm not sure when it closed down, but I'm always surprised to see the sign in place and the property undeveloped all these years later. The equipment is rusted and tangled succumbing to the damage brought about by Michigan winters. There is something haunting and lonely about a broken distressed carousal . Is it possible that on a bright moonlit night, when no one is looking, blackbirds take a spin on the eerily beautiful magical ride of so many yesterdays?

No comments: