Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Survive

Most items related to breast cancer have the word "hope" associated with them. When my mother was first diagnosed, I made an assemblage that I called "Hope". The hope was unfounded in her case and I began to feel as though the word might be too tentative, too dainty. I don't want to rely on hope alone; I want to Survive. The word feels stronger, more determined, more of a command. We have to be warriors in the fight against cancer.
All of this came to me while creating the above piece. I was feeling fiesty that day :)
Mixed media assemblage with vintage bible text, antique Mica, cancelled flemish stamps, black gesso, rubber stamps, and canvas.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

you know what I really like this it took me a sec to see the outline. fantastic